With whole proteins and a rainbow of veggies, this cheddar chicken and broccoli quinoa casserole makes for a delicious nutrient-dense dinner.
Cheddar Chicken and Broccoli Quinoa Casserole Recipe
My cooking philosophy is to keep it healthy and easy.
Recipes at Hammers N Hugs will include all-natural ingredients that can often be frozen and have been tested and approved by friends and family!
I am all about simple, easy dinners that require minimal extra effort.
Ideally, I prefer dinners that provide all the major macronutrients in one easy dish.
Enter my cheddar chicken and broccoli quinoa casserole.
If you have been to our house for dinner, then you have probably had this casserole along with my homemade applesauce and honey oat bread.
What I love about this casserole is that it is a meal by itself, makes fabulous leftovers, and is a staple among my regular freezer meals.
There is 2T of flour that can easily be left out for a gluten-free meal.
For more delicious recipes be sure to check out:
I always make this casserole in my Anchor Hocking casserole dish because the sealed lid makes it simple to put it right in the fridge or freezer.
Shop my kitchen & pin any of the images below for later![show_boutique_widget id=”963680″]
Cheddar Chicken and Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
- 2 c quinoa
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour (leave out if GF)
- 5 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1 lb frozen broccoli florets
- 2 lg carrots, diced
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 c nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
- Combine 2c quinoa with 4c chicken stock in large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Take off lid and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- Cube the chicken and cook. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 T butter and saute the diced onion and minced garlic for approx 4 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat.
- Pour in the remaining 1 ½ c chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the broccoli and the carrots. Place the lid on the pan and while still simmering allow the vegetables to steam for approx 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the Greek yogurt and 1c shredded cheese.
- Add the chicken and the quinoa and mix. Transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1c shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling on the top.
- Allow the casserole to cool completely in microwave/freezer safe glass bowl. Seal tightly and place in freezer. Thaw in fridge overnight. Reheat in microwave as needed.